Sunday, October 18, 2009

Camping Cont.

We weren't expecting any rain, but after that first little bout of sprinkling Dave put a trashbag over the top of our tent we were sleeping in because we didn't bring the rain cover. That evening we ate dinner, gave Charlie a bath, and had a campfire. Everything was going so well until I woke up at about 1 in the morning because it was raining and I was getting dripped on. I woke up Dave and he went outside the tent and put a t-shirt over the other air vent that was exposed on the top of the tent. I fell back asleep only to wake up another hour or two later to find that I was getting dripped on again and the condensation in the tent was like water torture. Dave got up and wiped the walls down with our bath towels. The funniest part was that I was dreaming before I woke up and in my dream I was turned around in the tent and feeling around to figure out where I was in the tent. In actuality I woke up to me feeling Daves face trying to figure out what it was. We were laughing so hard over it. Dave's face when I finally woke up was like, "what are you doing?" I'm laughing right now while typing this...it might be the kind of thing where you had to be there, but trust me it was hilarious! I did get up and check on Charlie who was sound asleep in his pack'n'play the whole time. I checked his blanket to make sure he wasn't wet and he seemed fine. So Dave and I fell back asleep to wake up again two hours later (about 3:45 or 4 in the morning to water dripping on my face and there were pools of water in the tent around our makeshift mattress. At this point I told Dave and we had to do something because we are going to get soaked. I picked up Charlie out of his bed because his thick blanket was wet on top. Meanwhile, Dave is unhooking a cord from the battery-powered fan I brought and zig-zagging it through the tent and hanging towels, blankets, shirts...whatever he could to keep us from getting wet. By this point Charlie was pretty much awake and thinking,"Gee what's going on, is it time to get up, what's hanging from the ceiling???" He was looking all over the tent in amazement. Finally Dave sat down on our bed and he gave Charlie the flashlight. Charlie started to put the flashlight under his chin and mouth and it was as if he was going to tell us a ghost story. We all were laughing. Well after a good 15 minutes of settling in we all finally fell back asleep. I woke up at 6:30. When I opened my eyes and looked up all I could see was a zig-zagging cord and stuff hanging from it with water dripping down all the walls and ceiling of the tent. I look at Dave and he has a shirt wrapped around his head (like a nun). All I could think about was in the old Parent Trap movie with Beverly Hills and how the girls ransacked the cabin with string and honey. Dave and Charlie woke up and we pretty much started wringing stuff out and packing up whatever was dry. At 7:30 Dave took Charlie to the trailer, where my mom and dad were sleeping, for a bit while we packed up. When we were at a good stopping point we went into the trailer and my mom and dad just looked at me and said, "well, how was your night? I said, "It was hilarious. It was one thing after another, but boy did we make a great memory". We all sat down for breakfast and my dad brought out a chocolate donut with a bathroom candle in the middle of it, because it was Dave's birthday. That's a birthday we won't forget. We headed home that late morning with all of our wet clothes in bags. We left the tents up to dry out. When we pulled into warm Folsom it was 90 degrees - no rain.


This is the step Dave and Kody fixed at last year's hunting trip. Charlie thought the little rocks needed some rearranging though.


He's ready for some exploring


Campfire before bed. It was so nice just sitting out in the cool night with the fire.


Happy Birthday Dave!!! The next morning after our night of rain. Dave was presented with a chocolate donut with a bathroom candle lit in the middle-We were camping we had to be resourceful :)


Now that's a happy camper :)

No comments: