Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 Holiday Letter


Dearest Friends and Family,

Happy holidays from Singer Lane!  It’s been another blessed year and we’re hoping this letter finds you healthy, joyful and ready for another holiday season and year.  Here’s what we’ve been up to in 2015:

In January we sat the boys down again and talked to them about our goals for 2015. When we asked them what we should do to make us closer to God and to make God happy Ben said, "We should go to Heaven and do what God says."  That boy is smart!  We certainly tried our best, but there’s always room for improvement, right?!   Lord willing it looks like we’ll get another year of doing what God says so we can go to Heaven.  We also memorized the beatitudes and reviewed our books of the Bible and previous memory verses too.  

Charlie.  Oh our Charlie boy is an active, imaginative, very smart, strong leader, logical, musical, loving, competitive, witty, determined guy!  He finished out 1st grade with flying colors and is doing so incredibly well in 2nd grade this year.  I’m so proud of him for not getting bogged down and doing what he needs to do to do well in school – even when it’s hard or there’s other things he’d rather do.  He does his best and that’s all we ask of him.  One of our favorite memories from this past year was on the first day of school when we asked him what he wanted to be when he’s an adult.  He said he, Joe (cousin), and Ben are all going to be police officers and eat Taco Bell every day for lunch.  Ha!   In April, we had our first (and hopefully our last) ER visit for an injury.  Charlie was spinning around in the great room.  It really was not that fast and he seemed very much in control.  I was watching him the entire time.  Then out of nowhere he ran into the corner molding on the shelves/entertainment center in the great room.  He ended up with 5 stitches and was very brave!  The good news is I’m getting better and better about staying calm and keeping the kids calm especially when these things happen and Dave’s not around.  Charlie is thriving as a big brother, he gives piggy back rides, he helps Ben with his sight words, he plays with True and my favorite is he reads books to his brothers almost every night before bed.   Charlie is continuing his piano lessons with me and we’ve been going strong almost a year and a half.  I might be biased, but I think he is so good, he obviously inherited it from his father, but man he just “gets” music.  It’s so great to see him want to practice and he’ll go on his own and play on the piano pretty much daily.  This year for his 7th birthday Dave took him for a ride on the back of his motorcycle.  He had a blast…unfortunatelyJ.  Charlie also completed his first season of soccer this fall.  It was rough for me at first because practices were so long and it was consistently close to 100 degrees outside, but after the first month or so and weather cooled down a bit and the boys started learning skills and understanding the game more it was really fun to watch him play.  He loves to play goalie…which is by far the most stressful position for a parentJ.  He was known for his “big boot” or drop kicks.  Charlie will play baseball this spring for the third year.   I’m not a sports fan, but there is something exciting and captivating about watching my own kids play.

Ben.  Benny boy finished up preschool with flying colors and is thriving in kindergarten this year.  He has the same kindergarten teacher Charlie had and I couldn’t be happier about that!  Ben is such a kind, considerate guy and really tries his best in all he does at school and at home.  He’s really catching on to reading and it is so great seeing him loving it and doing so well.  I just started piano lessons with Ben about a month ago.  He started asking me when he was going to start lessons a couple of months ago and I think he sees Charlie enjoying it so much and he wants to see what it’s all about too.   Ben got to have a birthday party this year, so for his 5th birthday he wanted a lego party.  This boy loves all things legos, so it was perfect.   We also have a rule in our house that you can’t chew gum until your 5, so Ben also got to chew gum for the first time…he’s hooked.   Just this past week I finally got around to teaching Ben how to tie his shoes.  You should have seen the look on his face when he did it.  His big brown eyes tell all.  He was so proud of himself.  Ben is so great at encouraging others and showing others he cares for them and has such a giving heart.  We are so proud of this boy and just love watching him grow and learn.  Ben is excited to start baseball this year.  It will be interesting…er…fun to see how having two kids playing sports goes. J I’m excited for him to experience playing rather than in the stands.  He’s going to love it!

Truman.  True will be 3 in March…CRAZY!  Well, actually he’s is almost 3 going on 9.  He does his best to keep up with his big brothers and he is as tough as they come, but he gives the sweetest kisses and the best hugs.  He’s stubborn, but has a definite sweet, soft side too.  He’s also a goofball like his brothers and dadJ.  This sweet little blue-eyed boy melts my heart and keeps me on my toes!   This picture to the left here….yep, this is life with a 2 year old.  I did get all the keys except one back in, and fortunately this is an old laptop we purchased when we lived in Texas 3 years ago.   If he’s quiet, then he’s getting into something.   This past summer we took a trip down to my parent’s house in southern California while Dave took a trip to Israel for work.  While we were there we took the kids to the beach.  Charlie loved the water, Ben played in the sand and liked the snacks and True was there for the food and company.  He didn’t want anything to do with the water, until the last 20 minutes we were there I finally coerced him down to the water and he LOVED it.  I was so proud of him for making it to the water’s edge and he giggled with pure delight every time the water “tickled” his toes.  In August, I was a little nervous about what Truman would think about both the boys being in school.  He actually adjusted pretty well to the boys being gone half the day.  The first 2 weeks he asked where they were a lot and sometimes he would look at me like, “entertain me”.  Now, we enjoy our time together running errands, getting things done around the house, having playdates, doing some school work and just spending time together.  He is my little shadow and although sometimes I’d like my space I know in my heart I’m going to miss it like crazy someday.  In October, Truman learned how to use the pedals on his bike.  He was so proud of himself.  He kept saying, "I did it".  On one hand it makes me sad because he’s growing up and really not a baby anymore.  On the other hand, it is such a blessing to have healthy kids who grow, learn, and excel at life. 

Dave.  He’s awesome, of course!  He had his annual Tour de Cure for Diabetes band gig in April with some of the guys we worship with and they played really well again.  Every July 4th, usually around the 7am time frame, Dave will put on John Philip Sousa to get us all in the mood.  Charlie is playing his trombone from Christmas last year and wearing the white gloves that came with the trombone(hilarious….it kills me every time), Ben is on the shaker, True is singing in the microphone (his own words) and Dave is on the trumpet.  I think it’s safe to say that Dave’s dream of raising a band is slowing coming true J.  As I mentioned above, Dave travelled to Israel this year for the 3rd time in July.  He toured Hezekiah’s tunnel, Caesarea, and Nazareth.  He also travelled to Costa Rica for the first time for work.  He had less than a day for sight-seeing, but he did squeeze in a jungle cruise (that strangely resembled Disneyland’s jungle cruise) and a zip-line excursion.  He said the food was awesome….much better than Malaysia, ha! Who wouldn’t’ like to have fish heads in their pastries?  Dave took Charlie and Ben on the annual hunting trip this October.  They all had a great time and made some fun memories shootin’ and playin’.  Dave completed his 17th year at Intel and is still enjoying the people he is working with and the challenges of the technology world.

Me.  Well, it’s hard to believe another year has gone by and these kiddos keep getting bigger and I just love Dave more and more.  Blessed just doesn’t describe how I feel, but it’s close.  I’m loving being a mom and will continue to tell you it’s a HARD job, but I wouldn’t want it any other way!  With that being said, there's lots of things I miss out on being a mom of boys and not girls, but January 8th is one day I'll treasure FOREVER!  This is the day Charlie and I practiced tying ties on each other.  We worked on it for a good 20 minutes, but we both got it.  The boys wear ties every Sunday to bible class and worship service and I figured it was time for me to learn.   In April, I got to get away for 3 nights and 4 days with my sisters-in-love Kristen and Katy and my best friend Wynter to celebrate birthdays.  We went to San Diego and took surfing lesson from Surf Diva’s (Mary Anne was very patient and so helpful if you’re interested).  It was awesome!  I NEVER thought I would ever go surfing AND like love it!  The break and relaxation was so great!  This summer I had the boys do some more chores around the house and help out more preparing food.  It was great and entertaining!  I have a picture of Charlie with the upper half of his body in the washing machine and his legs sticking out tossing wet clothes to Truman who then puts them in the dryer…seriously it’s never a dull moment around here!  I’m so thankful for the help and I like that my boys are getting more independent.  In September, I had just about had it with all the legos EVERYWHERE.  I’ll tell you from first-hand experience they are the most painful toy to step on and marbles are close second.  So I made some huge shelves for the boys’ room.  They look nice and now the boys have a place to display their sets and creations – win, win.  One of my other favorite times from this past year was Halloween.  All 3 of the boys wanted to be ninjas.  Charlie was VERY good about being enthusiastic with his "trick-or-treat" and "thank you" and Truman kept saying, "Momma next house??  Trick-or-treat and thank you?!?!"  It was so cute.  He thought it was pretty awesome to go house to house and get treats.   Now that it’s December we took the boys to see Santa and we’re gearing up for the holidays.  The boys are so excited, it really is a magical time of year.

We’re healthy and happy and feeling awfully blessed for this past year of memories, family, good health, and friends.  As always we wish you a very merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Love,

Dave, Michelle, Charlie, Ben, and True

No comments: