Saturday, June 28, 2014

June 2014

Summer!
  Maggie, Joe and Delaney over to play! 

Ben feeding Truman...I could get used to this :)


A day at the lake:
 Charlie paddling out on the surfboard
True getting used to the water...
 Ben in the dirt :)


Snack time!


Venturing out a little


We celebrated my 30th birthday!  Jenny and Kristen threw me the nicest birthday party.  I was overwhelmed with everyone's generosity and felt truly blessed and loved when I walked out of Jenny's house at MIDNIGHT that night.  30 is going to be great!


Here's a picture of us June birthdays at our Sanderson Celebration
Me, Drew, and Grandpops 
Dave is on sabbatical!  Woohoo!  8 work-free weeks!  We started out with a trip back to Kentucky and Tennessee.  Of course no trip would be complete without a little crazy.  We made it from Sacramento to LAX only to have Charlie break out in hives all over his mouth, neck, stomach and back.  We had an extra long layover and found NO Benadryl in the airport.  Our next flight from LAX to Nashville was a 4 hour flight and I was not comfortable boarding a plane with my child having an allergic reaction to something...for all I knew he would stop breathing.  We had no idea what the reaction was from.  After talking to airport staff (who were helpful, but not very helpful-meaning we miss our flight and go the hospital next to the airport) we were in a pickle.  Dave went out one more time to see if he could find some Benadryl.  I was with Charlie and True in a deserted terminal and a woman walked by.  True was fussy and she said something like, "Hang in there, I used to travel with my kids all the time."  I said something back and then we started talking.  Turns out she was from the Napa area and was a nurse.  I then proceeded to tell her what was going on.  She said she happened to have some adult Benadryl and assured me that if I split it or quartered it, it would be fine for him to take.  I thanked her over and over and learned that she was on our next flight to Nashville too.  While waiting for Dave I also texted Katelyn (my sister who is a PICU nurse at the Children's Hospital of Orange County) and she told me that it looked like hives and that splitting the Benadryl should be just fine.  She also said that airplanes are stocked really well for emergencies and  that she felt pretty good about me going on the flight especially knowing a nurse was on the flight.  So we boarded the flight, praying like crazy.  Charlie sat by Dave and I asked Dave several times to check him and make sure he was breathing fine once he fell asleep.  We landed in Nashville and it looked like Charlie's hives hadn't worsened (thank you Father!).  We got our rental car and headed to our hotel.  When we arrived Dave went in to get our key.  He came out and told me he accidentally had gotten the room for two days ago.  There are two rooms left in the entire hotel and both are reserved for someone else.  It was the next day at this point and the hotel was willing to give us one room.  We took it.  It was two double beds.  By the time we got in, and situated it was after 1 in the morning.  I was sleeping with Ben and True and Dave had Charlie.  I slept about three hours - I can never sleep with kids and it was the first time we ever shared a bed.  I was up and ready to get to Lauren's house at 7.  Slowly everyone got up and loaded up in the car.  I fell asleep on the hour long drive, and felt nauseous from being so tired.  We made it!  It felt so good to be there! 


 Charlie and Ben reviewing the safety manual


Everyone sacked out in the hotel room.


 The kids played...
 and played
 and played!
 Love this little man!
 These two were happy to be out of the car and airplane!


 True warming up at Lala's house.  Love that cute little profile!
We went to the Corvette Museum-it was pretty great!
Charlie and Ben in a corvette
 They had a kids room where they could work on a car and play
 Tyson working under the car, while Charlie changes a tire
 Rex gets dressed in his mechanic uniform
 True on the slide
 True taking a turn
 This is my favorite picture of all the boys working on the car.
 Playing a game

 Dave and I are out there looking at the sink-hole.  It had happened recently and was really amazing!
 It was really deep...we could barely see the bottom, these pictures are still 10 feet from the bottom.



 Charlie's favorite care...it's red...his favorite color :)



We celebrated Rex's birthday(he and I share the same day) at a minor league baseball team
 Charlie, Ben, Tyson, Rex, Luke, and Truman
 Since it was Rex's birthday he got to throw the opening pitch.  Here he is heading off.
 He threw perfectly and he made it to the pitcher.  So proud of him!
 Singing happy birthday to him to go on the big screen
 Helping my sister serve up cake :)  SO fun and special to be there!
 Games!
 True mastered going up and down stairs while we were there.
Ben loved all the dress ups and new toys...love this silly boy!


We also went to Dinosaur World!  It was very cool, the kids had a fun time!

 Looking at some half excavated dinosaur bones
 This was a game where you stick your hand inside and look at the pictures above and figure out which dinosaur you feel.  Dave thought it would be funny to reach through and grab Rex's hand...it was funny for Dave...not so much for Rex.  He was a good sport. :)
 Here the kids got to try excavating...they loved it!
 Even Truman loved brushing the dirt off the bones.
 We could have stayed here for hours!
 Getting some wiggles out
 Finding real fossils and teeth
 We ended up with some cool shark teeth and other fossils.
 Baby True and baby dinosaur
 Still digging
Photo Op:
 Rex
 Ben
 Tyson, take 1 - scared
 Tyson, take 2 - happy
 Charlie, take 1 - happy
 Travis, enjoying the scenery
 Dave, checking out the dinos tonsils  ???  Leave it to my husband, goofball
 Charlie, take 2 - I've got this
 Charlie, take 3 - Scared
There's Gold in them there hills
 Next the boys panned for gold.
 It was quite the set-up....the boys loved it
 Tyson
 Charlie
 Rex
True trying not to fall asleep :)
 Rex, Tyson, Charlie, True, and Ben
 This big T-Rex sits just off the freeway.  Travis and Dave are waving at the cars.
 It was huge!
After dinosaur world we drove out to Uncle David and Aunt Celia's house.  I hadn't seen them in YEARS!!!!  It was so GREAT to see them and their beautiful house and property.  Definitely one of the highlights of the trip for me. 


After our visit we stopped off at a Cracker Barrel.

It was raining like crazy, but that didn't stop Rex and I from playing some checkers



Odd: When we got back to Lauren's house we had to check the kids for ticks....YUCK!!!  Fortunately no one had any....I LOVE CALIFORNIA!
Our last day :(
 Ben, Tyson, Rex, Charlie, Truman
 Ben, Tyson, Daisy Mae, Rex, and Charlie
Loved the visit and being with my sister and her family.  Such fun and precious memories!


On our last day True finally let Lauren hold him! 

No comments: